AdLoad Mac Malware Removal Guide
|Category||Adware, Mac malware, Mac Threat, Adware.MAC.Adload (See Full Report On VirusTotal)|
|Occurrence||installs via fake update of Adobe Flash Players, clicking on pop-up ads, freeware downloads from unsafe sites.|
|Damages||Changes of browser preferences without user’s consent, data-tracking, search redirects, ads placed on top of search results.|
|Removal||Scan your Mac with Combo Cleaner to detect files related to AdLoad Adware.|
What is AdLoad?
AdLoad is a Mac malware that if often detected as a generic name for various adware-type of threats targeting Mac computers. It is capable to tampering various settings of the system to gain persistence and prevent users from removing it. The malware can have various aliases and files, that it drops in library folders.
Unfortunately, this category of threat has the main objective to target the web browsers, hijack it by modifying their default settings. Thus, users may see their browser controlled by some unknown program that activates in the form of extensions, plug-ins, search helper objects and search engines. However, they are of no good to users, as they keep on redirecting to potentially unsafe websites, encourage fake downloads and earn their profit.
Adload malware is also capable to collecting various data like IP address, browsing history, geo-location, keywords, website visits and so on.
So, if you have AdLoad malware or any of its variants, then you should run a scan to your Mac to detect and remove them immediately.
How AdLoad Got Inside my Mac?
AdLoad relies on dubious installers of Flash Player, fake browser update links and freeware distribution to get installed. Typically, they are presented as an urgent warning to update the software to continue browsing without any inconvenience. However, they are meant to drop other PUA that hide within the main installer.
Adload comes bundled with other adware-type programs:
So, better to keep a watch on your online activities. Here I explained my users about the 10 Best Ways To Protect A Mac Computer From Viruses.
AdLoad Mac Adware-What It can do?
When installed, the Adload malware will host its files in various directories of Mac system. Following after gaining the admin access at the time of installation. So by taking its advantage it creates and stores it files on various directories:
- 2 two LaunchDaemon files within the
- Also, adds Launch Agents to the
- You will also see files added to the Application support library under the local user:
~/Library/Application Support/com.appnameDaemon/appnameand “
com.appnameP.plist” that targets the Mach-O executable as “
- Next, Adload opens a remote host by calling a python script
- Further, it goes on creating a hidden directory that restricts its manual removal, as
- Finally, the Adload also goes on installing user cronjob along with an executable file in the Library Application Support’s subfolder. This helps it to run at a schedules time.
Being an adware-type malware, it will ruin your browsing, slowdown its performance and allow installation of other damaging programs.
Follow the below removal steps to remove AdLoad malware and its malicious programs.
How To Remove AdLoad From Mac
Manually removing Adload requires lots of patience and understanding of various components of the Mac environment like launch agent, launch daemon, cron job files, and other proccess like “/var/root”. So, if you unknowingly deleted any other file, or failed to remove a malicious one, then Adload will not go away. And in fact, it can reappear due to incomplete removal.
However, in this guide, we are going to explain both the methods one-by-one.
For automatic and safe removal, scan with Combo Cleaner and get rid of it quickly.
How To Remove AdLoad Malware From Mac Manually
To remove AdLoad extension, follow the steps:
- Open your Safari browser, From top menu, choose Safari > choose Preferences.
- Go to Extensions tab.
- Locate AdLoad extension.
- To remove AdLoad click on “uninstall” button.
To completely remove AdLoad malware from Mac, follow these steps carefully:
Remove AdLoad Malware From Mac Applications
- On the Finder window, click Go→ Applications;
- Look through the Application window to find AdLoad or any other malicious app like DataSearch, GlobalSearchSystem, or ArtemisSearch;
- To remove AdLoad from Mac, right-click on it and choose “Move To Trash”;
- After that, Click on the “Empty Trash” by right-click on the Trash icon on your dock.
- Restart your Mac to make changes into effect.
Remove AdLoad LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons From Library
To Remove AdLoad LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemon, follow the steps here:
- Open Finder window and then select: Go → Go to Folder;
- Now, you need find any malicious agents related to AdLoad within the following locations, and delete if find any;
- ~/Library/Application Support
- Enter the path to the “Go To Folder” and click “Go”;
- Now, check, if there is any AdLoad related entries, if found delete them one-by-one.
3Remove AdLoad Fake Profiles From Mac
Often malicious programs like Safe Finder, Search Mine, Advanced Mac Cleaner leverages this setting to configure profile settings that connect to specific URL, restrict removal and so on. Thus, you should check for any profile configuration created by malicious programs. So you need to find and remove fake profiles.
To do so, you must login to your Mac as administrative account. By deleting the malicious profiles , you will be able to make changes to restricted settings.
- Choose Apple menu→ System Preferences → Profiles .
Note: If there is no profiles on your Mac, then you may not see the profile icon. Then skip to the next step.
- Once the profile Windows opens, check for unknown Profile.
- To Remove AdLoad Profile, select it and click the Remove button (—) minus button in the bottom.
4Remove AdLoad Extensions From Web browsers
Next, step is to find unwanted extension, fake search engine and revoke other settings that happens due to any Adware. So, most of the users use Safari, Chrome and Mozilla browsers on their Mac OS.
So, here we are going to explain all the three one-by-one.
Delete AdLoad Extensions From Safari
AdLoad may install as extensions which triggers pop-up ads, homepage redirects and so on. So, it is important to find and remove adware extensions.
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to Extensions Tab;
- Look for AdLoad unwanted extensions active on your Safari;
- To remove AdLoad extension from Safari, Select it and click on “Uninstall”.
Restore Your Homepage
Many time, AdLoad promotes fake search engine, so they set unknown URL as default homepage. So, if you don’t want them, then here is what to do to remove them:
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to General Tab;
- Under the “Homepage” field, remove unknown URL related to AdLoad and enter address of your choice like “google.com” as click “set as default”.
This should help fix your issue, but if not, then here is the guide explaining to reset Safari browser.
Remove AdLoad Extension
- To open Extensions page on Chrome type
chrome://extensions/on your address bar;
- Now, check for AdLoad extension active on the browser;
- To remove AdLoad Extension from Chrome, click on “Remove” beside it.
Restore Your Homepage
- To access Homepage setting on Chrome type
- Here you see default homepage URL that opens every time you launch your browser. Remove AdLoad related URL and type the new one you want.
- Next, remove fake search engine promoted by AdLoad, by typing
- Under “Manage search engines”, click on the search engine you want to remove;
- To remove AdLoad search engine from Chrome, click on the 3-vertical dots beside its name and click on “Remove from list”.
Here is the guide on how to Reset Chrome Browser on Mac and Windows.
Remove AdLoad Extension From Firefox
- To open Extension menu, type
about:addonson your Firefox address bar;
- Choose “Extensions” from the left menu;
- To remove AdLoad extension from Firefox browser, click on “Remove” beside the extension name.
- To access Homepage Setting on Firefox, type
about:preferences#homeon the address bar;
- Under “New Windows and Tabs” field, enter your favorite URL to set as homepage and New tab.
- To Remove Fake search engine from Firefox
about:preferences#search, under search shortcuts section, click on the URLs you want to remove;
- Next click on the “Remove” button on the bottom.
To completely Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser on Safari and Windows click here.
Remove AdLoad Malware From Mac Using Combo Cleaner
- Follow the link to Download Combo Cleaner“;
- A .dmg file will download, double-click on it to start installation process;
- Once you see the below window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon to your “Applications folder”;
- Click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon from the “Launchpad” on your dock;
- Follow the on-screen instruction to finish the setup. The combo cleaner will quickly update its Virus database. After which, Combo cleaner will launch the program;
- You can either click on “Start Combo Scan” or click on the “Antivirus” tab and choose various scan options. There are 3 scan options: Quick, Full, and custom. (We will recommend to do full scan for first time)
- After the scan completes, it will show the threats if found. So, click on “Remove All Threats”;
- Next, go to “Uninstaller” Tab to find and remove malicious extensions and other programs from web browsers and Mac. Select unwanted program and also their related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
How to avoid installing AdLoad Malware On Mac?
You should follow the proactive approach to restrict adware-type applications like AdLoad from getting installed.
- Always, visit official website and trusted sources to download and install applications.
- Do a little research before downloading or clicking on any ads, commercials or pop-ups that come in your way.
- Avoid peer-to-Peer file sharing networks, torrents, freeware downloads and software crack tools and so on. As these are often carry payloads of additional malware.
- Always, read the terms and conditions, before installing any software. As, the default installation comes with additional components that get easily installed. So, better opt for “Custom/Advanced” option during the set-up.
- Most importantly, avoid click on redirect pages or ads driven by unsafe sites, as well as do not click on push notification pop-ups. As they start to directly deliver unstoppable ads on the browser. Often accidental clicks leads of adware/malware infiltration.
Finally, if you think you Mac is infected with adware/malware, then we recommend to scan it with Combo Cleaner Antivirus. This will ensure complete removal of threats and safeguard from future risks.
So, this is how to remove AdLoad Mac Malware.