Remove Adware, Pop-up Ads From Windows OS
If you notice unwanted pop-up ads appearing frequently while browsing, then it means your browser/system is infected with some kind of adware or potentially unwanted program. In this article, we will explain you how to remove pop-up ads from Windows and restore default browser settings.
What is Adware?
Adware are malicious program designed to display advertisements on the browser as well as on the device’s screen. Adware authors deploy such programs in various forms like web extensions, search engine, fake system optimization tool, media convertor tools and similar these.
If your Browser/Computer is infected with Adware, you can notice the following behavior:
Ads can appear in various forms like pop-ups, banners, video ads, in-text links, coupons, shady links, fake recommendation of programs and so on.
Well, its not that all ads are harmful, but you need to stay cautious about the source from where you are getting the ads and pop-ups. As many times, these ads appear to be too good, but upon clicking they redirect to some unsafe, tricky or malicious website.
You may see fake “virus alerts”, “pop-ups asking to update software“, and “installing extension” so on. If you click on them, then you can experience various changes to the browser:
- Unknown tabs opening up showing more advertisements;
- Change of homepage, unknown or fake search engine set as default;
- Unknown extensions, add-ons or plug-ins appear on the browser.
Summing up all these, here is the example of adware or advertisements on the web browser.
Now, if you know your computer or browser is infected with Adware, then it is important to remove them. As it is the reason behind you may be noticing excessive advertisements on your browser.
How To Remove Adware, Pop-up Ads From Windows OS
This guide specifically contains removal instructions for Windows user. So if you are a Mac user then checkout complete guide on How To Remove Adware From Mac OS.
Removal Instructions For Adware, Pop-up Ads From Windows OS
Please follow the below steps carefully, and if you are not sure any point, then we advise you to take the help of adware removal tool to detect and remove threats.
Step1: Uninstall Adware and other malicious programs from Windows OS
- On Windows 10, Click on Start button on the taskbar, then select “Settings”.
- Next, click on the “Apps”, and then choose “Apps & Features”, that will display the list of all installed applications on your system.
- Scroll through the list to find unknown applications, adware or other which you don’t wish to have.
- Click on the adware, expand it and then click “Uninstall”;
- After that, click on the “Uninstall” button again to confirm it;
Step2: Block Pop-up and Ads From Web Browsers
In this section, we will block permission for the website, showing annoying pop-ups and ads on your browser.
For quickly blocking pop-up ads
chrome://settings/content/pop-ups and choose URL you want to block.
- To open Chrome’s main menu, click on three vertical dots on top-right corner. Next, click on “Settings”;
- Locate “Privacy and Security” section, and click on “Site settings”;
- Scroll down and click on “Pop-ups and redirects”; Here you will see website list showing pop-up notification;
- To block pop-up ads on Chrome, click three vertical dots beside the website you want to block, add the URL and click “Block”;
- Also, under the “Allow” section, check the websites allowed to show notifications, click on “Block” or “Remove”.
- Do same for other website.
- To open Firefox menu, click on three horizontal lines. Choose “Options”.
- On the Options page, choose “Privacy & Security” from the left menu;
- Under this section, choose “Permissions”, and then within “Notifications” menu choose “Settings” next to it.
- This window will list all the website showing pop-up ads.
- To block pop-up ads from Mozilla Firefox browser, click on the URL and click on “Remove Website”.
- Also, check the box saying for “Block new requests asking to allow notifications”;
- Click “Save Changes” button.
- Open Microsoft Edge Menu button, by clicking on three horizontal dots. Choose “Settings” from the menu.
- From the left menu, click on “Cookies and site permissions”;
- To block a website from redirecting and showing pop-ups on Edge: scroll down to find “Pop-up and Redirects”, add the URLs which you want to block for pop-ups and redirects;
- Better to click on the “Block” on this setting; Also, check for Allow settings, click on block the website if you see any malicious website allowed to show pop-up notification.
- Now, go back and click on “Ads”, then add the URLs which you want to block for ads;
- Again better to “block” this settings.
Step3: Remove malicious browser extensions from Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge
Remove Adware Related Extension From Google Chrome
- To open Extensions page on Chrome type
chrome://extensions/on your address bar;
- Now, check for Adware/unknown extension active on the browser;
- To remove Adware related fake Extension from Chrome, click on “Remove” beside it.
Remove Fake Search Engine/browser hijacker and Restore Homepage On Chrome
- To access Homepage setting on Chrome type
- Here you see default homepage URL that opens every time you launch your browser. Remove it and type the new one you want.
- Next, remove fake search engine, by typing
- Under “Manage search engines”, click on the search engine you want to remove;
- To remove Search engine from Chrome, click on the 3-vertical dots beside its name and click on “Remove from list”.
Here is the guide on how to Reset Chrome Browser on Mac and Windows.
Remove Adware Related Fake Extension From Mozilla Firefox
- To open Extension menu, type
about:addonson your Firefox address bar;
- Choose “Extensions” from the left menu;
- To remove extension from Firefox browser, click on “Remove” beside the extension name.
Remove Fake Search Engine/browser hijacker and Restore Homepage On Firefox
- To access Homepage Setting on Firefox, type
about:preferences#homeon the address bar;
- Under “New Windows and Tabs” field, enter your favorite URL to set as homepage and New tab.
- To Remove search engine from Firefox
about:preferences#search, under search shortcuts section, click on the URLs you want to remove;
- Next click on the “Remove” button on the bottom.
To completely Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser on Safari and Windows click here.
Remove Adware Related Extension From Google Chrome
- Click on 3 horizontal dots on the Edge browser, and click on “Extensions”;
- Here, your list of active Extensions will appear, Choose Adware related Extensions or fake one;
- To remove Adware related extensions, or those you don’t wish to have click on the “Remove”;
- To confirm click on “Remove” again.
Remove Adware Related Fake Extension From Microsoft Edge
- Click on 3 horizontal dots on the Edge browser, and click on “Settings”;
- Next, from left menu, choose “Privacy, search, and services”;
- After that, scroll down to the bottom and click on “Address bar and search”;
- Under “Search engine used in the address bar” section, choose the one you want to set as default;
- Next, click on “Manage search engines”. Here you will see list of installed search engine;
- To remove fake search engine or browser hijacker from Edge, click on the 3-dots beside it and click on “Remove”.
To completely Reset Microsoft Edge check out How To Reset Microsoft Edge Browser.
Step4: Use SpyHunter to Scan And Remove Adware, Pop-ups and Ads From Windows OS
SpyHunter 5 is a powerful and certified malware detection and removal program. The program can identify various kinds of threats like malware, adware, browser hijacker, Potentially unwanted program, rootkits and so on. It provides real-time protection by continuously updating and adapting its detection so as to combat against new threats. This tools is very easy to use and a very friendly user-interface, offering 24/7 customer support.
Follow the below instructions to scan with SpyHunter 5 and remove Adware from Windows OS.
- Click on the download button, to begin install the SpyHunter 5 anti-malware.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process.
- After that, the application will launch on your screen. In most of the cases, it starts the scan process quickly.
- The first scan may take up few minutes, and will keep reporting you any malware or threats found on your system.
- After the scan process completes, click on the “Next” to remove the threats.
- SpyHunter 5 allows free detection of threats. In order to remove them and activate other features, you need to purchase the full- license of the product.
- We recommend you do so, if you want to secure your device from Adware, malware, and PUA. It also helps maintaining online privacy.
Hope this article is helpful to you to remove Adware, pop-up and ads from your Windows OS and web browsers.