WebCouponSearch takes over the homepage on popular web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and MS Edge.
|Category||Browser Hijacker, Search Redirect|
|Symptoms||Modifying default settings of the homepage on the popular web browsers, manipulating search queries to display advertisements, browser redirecting to unwanted sites.|
|Occurrence||Installation of Fake extensions, clicking on pop-up ads, freeware downloads from unsafe sites.|
|Damages||Changes of browser preferences without user’s consent, data-tracking, search redirects, ads placed on top of search results.|
|Removal||Remove WebCouponSearch browser hijacker and its associated files from Windows using Spyhunter 5 and Combo Cleaner recommended for Mac.|
What is WebCouponSearch?
WebCouponSearch is a dubious program that promotes webcouponsearch.com address. Users might feel annoyed of how their default search settings entirely taken over by some unknown program. But this is a common browser issue that users may face anytime. Generally, it is caused when we unknowingly download any fake extension, adware or toolbars.
Such programs are designed to hijack the browser, take over the homepage and redirect the search engine to unknown or fake one. So, if your homepage is changed to webcouponsearch.com, that means your browser is being controlled by some malicious extension. These extension although claims to improve the browsing experience, but you may never find them of any worth.
The WebCouponSearch homepage appears as:
If you enter any search queries to the above address, then it will send the them to multiple other sites that are equally dubious. Finally, it displays the end results using yahoo search that is loaded with sponsored ads on top. Also, none of the results generated by WebCouponSearch is useful, instead it will keep on redirecting to other third-party search engine that loads more ads and dubious results. This will seriously impact the browsing experience.
Thus, we strongly recommend you to remove WebCouponSearch as soon as possible, to ensure safe browsing.
How To Remove WebCouponSearch Hijacker From Chrome
When the WebCouponSearch extension get active on the browser, then you are likely to notice the following symptoms:
- The homepage address is replaced with “WebCouponSearch” New tab;
- Searches will automatically redirect to webcouponsearch.com.
- You will see WebCouponSearch extension active on the browser.
So, you need to revert back these changes. However, it is important to note that if you have accidentally installed this extension clicking on “Install” button on its promotional page. Then, you can simply go and remove extensions.
Oftentimes, these kind of browser hijackers are distributed via drive-by-downloads, freeware installation and clicking on malicious ads. So, in this case, a thorough detection of all malicious entries is important for permanent removal. So, that it won’t come back again. Thus, we recommend using a reliable anti-malware or detection tool to safely detect all the adware/PUA from the system. This guide contains removal instructions for both Windows and Mac user.
Is Your System Infected with WebCouponSearch Hijacker?
Please follow the below steps carefully, and if you are not sure any point, then we advise you to take the help of adware removal tool to detect and remove threats.
Step 1: Remove WebCouponSearch hijacker from Your Operating System
Remove WebCouponSearch and other malicious programs from Windows OS
- On Windows 10, Click on Start button on the taskbar, then select “Settings”.
- Next, click on the “Apps”, and then choose “Apps & Features”, that will display the list of all installed applications on your system.
- Scroll through the list to find unknown applications, adware or other which you don’t wish to have.
- Click on the adware, expand it and then click “Uninstall”;
- After that, click on the “Uninstall” button again to confirm it;
Remove WebCouponSearch and other malicious programs from Mac OS
- On the Finder window, click Go→ Applications;
- Look through the Application window to find and remove WebCouponSearch;
- To remove WebCouponSearch Apps from Mac, right-click on it and choose “Move To Trash”;
- After that, Click on the “Empty Trash” by right-click on the Trash icon on your dock.
- Restart your Mac to make changes into effect.
Remove WebCouponSearch LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons
To Remove WebCouponSearch LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemon, follow the steps here:
- Open Finder window and then select: Go → Go to Folder;
- Now, you need find any malicious agents related to Malicious apps like Fake Flash Player Update within the following locations, and delete if find any;
- Enter the path to the “Go To Folder” and click “Go”;
- Now, check, if there is any malicious entries related to adware or malware program, then delete them one-by-one.
Step2: Remove WebCouponSearch Hijacker from Web Browsers
This sections explains step-by-step guide to remove WebCouponSearch extension from browsers and resetting homepage and search engine preferences.
Remove WebCouponSearch hijacker from Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Safari
Remove WebCouponSearch Extension From Google Chrome
- On Chrome type
chrome://extensions/on your address bar;
- Now, check for WebCouponSearch extension;
- Click on “Remove” button next to WebCouponSearch extension.
Remove WebCouponSearch browser hijacker and Restore Homepage On Chrome
- On Chrome type
- Remove webcouponsearch.com from homepage address and type the new one you want.
- Next, type
- Under “Manage search engines”;
- Select WebCouponSearch, click on the 3-vertical dots and choose “Remove from list“.
Here is the guide on how to Reset Chrome Browser on Mac and Windows.
Remove WebCouponSearch Fake Extension From Mozilla Firefox
- To open Extension menu, type
about:addonson your Firefox address bar;
- Choose “Extensions” from the left menu;
- Click on the three dots besides the WebCouponSearch extension name and choose “Remove”.
Remove WebCouponSearch Search Engine/browser hijacker and Restore Homepage On Firefox
- To access Homepage Setting on Firefox, type
about:preferences#homeon the address bar;
- Under “New Windows and Tabs” field, enter your favorite URL to set as homepage and New tab.
- Next type
about:preferences#search, under search shortcuts section, select webcouponsearch.com;
- Next click on the “Remove” button on the bottom.
To completely Reset Mozilla Firefox Browser on Safari and Windows click here.
Remove WebCouponSearch Extension From MS Edge
- Click on 3 horizontal dots on the Edge browser, and click on “Extensions”;
- Here, your list of active Extensions will appear, Choose Adware related Extensions or fake one;
- Click on the “Remove” beside WebCouponSearch extension ;
- To confirm removing WebCouponSearch click on “Remove” again.
Remove WebCouponSearch Extension From Microsoft Edge
- Click on 3 horizontal dots on the Edge browser, and click on “Settings”;
- Next, from left menu, choose “Privacy, search, and services”;
- After that, scroll down to the bottom and click on “Address bar and search”;
- Under “Search engine used in the address bar” section, choose the one you want to set as default;
- Next, click on “Manage search engines”. Here you will see list of installed search engine;
- Click on the 3-dots beside webcouponsearch.com search engine and click on “Remove”.
To completely Reset Microsoft Edge check out How To Reset Microsoft Edge Browser.
Remove WebCouponSearch Extensions From Safari
Fake extension may trigger frequent pop-up ads, homepage redirects and so on. So, it is important to find and remove adware extensions.
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to Extensions Tab;
- Look for WebCouponSearch extensions active on your Safari;
- To remove WebCouponSearch extension from Safari, Select it and click on “Uninstall”.
Restore Your Homepage
As, WebCouponSearch extension promotes fake search engine, so they set unknown URL as default homepage. So, if you don’t want them, then here is what to do to remove them:
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to General Tab;
- Under the “Homepage” field, remove webcouponsearch.com and enter address of your choice like “google.com” as click “set as default”.
This should help fix your issue, but if not, then here is the guide explaining to reset Safari browser.
Step 3: Use Anti-malware to Scan And Remove WebCouponSearch Hijacker
This sections explains, automatic steps to remove WebCouponSearch and other adware/malware programs active on the system. So, you can remove it safety from your system.
Use SpyHunter to Scan And Remove WebCouponSearch From Windows OS
SpyHunter 5 is a powerful and certified malware detection and removal program. The program can identify various kinds of threats like malware, adware, browser hijacker, Potentially unwanted program, rootkits and so on. It provides real-time protection by continuously updating and adapting its detection so as to combat against new threats. This tools is very easy to use and a very friendly user-interface, offering 24/7 customer support.
Follow the below instructions to scan with SpyHunter 5 and remove Adware from Windows OS.
- Click on the download button, to begin install the SpyHunter 5 anti-malware.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process.
- After that, the application will launch on your screen. In most of the cases, it starts the scan process quickly.
- The first scan may take up few minutes, and will keep reporting you any malware or threats found on your system.
- After the scan process completes, click on the “Next” to remove the threats.
- SpyHunter 5 allows free detection of threats. In order to remove them and activate other features, you need to purchase the full- license of the product.
- We recommend you do so, if you want to secure your device from Adware, malware, and PUA. It also helps maintaining online privacy.
Scan Your Mac With Combo Cleaner To Remove WebCouponSearch
- Follow the link to Download Combo Cleaner“;
- A .dmg file will download, double-click on it to start installation process;
- Once you see the below window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon to your “Applications folder”;
- Click on the “Combo Cleaner” icon from the “Launchpad” on your dock;
- Follow the on-screen instruction to finish the setup. The combo cleaner will quickly update its Virus database. After which, Combo cleaner will launch the program;
- You can either click on “Start Combo Scan” or click on the “Antivirus” tab and choose various scan options. There are 3 scan options: Quick, Full, and custom. (We will recommend to do full scan for first time)
- After the scan completes, it will show the threats if found. So, click on “Remove All Threats”;
- Next, go to “Uninstaller” Tab to find and remove malicious extensions and other programs from web browsers and Mac. Select unwanted program and also their related files and then click on “Remove Selected Items“
Best Practices To avoid Being Infected with Redirect Virus
There are various good practices that can prove helpful to cut down redirects to suspicious sites, lessens down pop-up ads on the browsers and enable safe browsing. Some of them are:
- Do Not install third-party Extensions from any redirect links or pop-up ads. Also, check the developer and reviews before installing.
- You can block notifications from unknown websites, to stop pop-up ads on the browser.
- Update your browsers, and applications regularly and from official websites or legitimate sources only. So as to ensure they are free of any vulnerabilities.
- Use anti-malware program to regularly scan for any vulnerability, bugs and potentially unwanted programs from the system.
- You can also use legitimate ad-blockers to block pop-up ads on the browsers.
WebCouponSearch and similar other redirect sites are meant to drive traffic for unknown sites to earn their profit. So, they may not have the control over the contents they deliver, as randomly shows ads, third-party contents and sponsored links.
So, we hope this article helps you to remove WebCouponSearch hijacker from browsers.